Friday, January 15, 2010

The Fair and Balanced Report

My last post reflected the emotional afterglow of our trip. It was definitely my all-time favorite family vacation. However, there were some hairy moments....and so, this is the fair and balanced report on the vacation.

It almost started out disastrously. I realized on Friday (before we were to leave on Sunday at 6:20am) that I did not have a birth certificate and that I could not get on the ship without one. I had gathered the kids but had failed to get mine. I was born in Oklahoma and the only way to obtain a birth certificate was for my mom to drive to Tulsa and get one and then my dad drove to Texas on Saturday to deliver it. Wow. I almost really, really, really blew it. I am so grateful that my parents were willing to step in and rescue me.

The next challenge came in getting all four of us up and out the door at 4:30am on Sunday morning. We did it, but it was certainly not a lot of fun. The kids did really well but it was incredibly stressful to try to make all that happen and get parked, go through security and get on an airplace by 6:00am. You just haven't lived until you have had to corral 3 kids and their luggage through an airport. I think I burned about 500 calories lugging it all.

Braden got lost once on the ship. It was an emotional reunion for him when we were reunited. He had insisted in getting himself some pizza without any help. When he returned the kids had moved on to another game and he couldn't find them. Instead of just waiting there, he began to roam the ship. I finally caught up with him on the 5th deck...he was supposed to be on the 9th deck. I think he learned a lesson....and so did I.

There were many lessons in manners, etiquette, and behavior modifications galore. Let's just say it was a good training exercise. They learned a lot and I was reminded that kids have to be taught many, many things. I also learned that Braden has no volume control. He has a booming voice and that became an issue we had to continually address.

There were times when I lost my patience and grew frustrated. Mostly, it was because I couldn't do everything I wanted to do because I was outnumbered....I found myself feeling down on myself every once in a while...wishing I had "perfect" children who needed no supervision. However, by the end of the trip I decided to give myself credit for doing the best I could. I saw no other single parents on the ship. Everyone else had at least two adults helping to corral their kids. I think I did pretty well considering there was only one of me. I gave myself permission to feel proud that we had been able to function well as a family and enjoy a nice vacation. This is actually pretty huge because many times I feel like the entertainment on vacation or in public. Our family can be a three-ring circus and I am learning to cut myself and my kids some slack.

We went from sun-up to sun-down each day...NONSTOP....and I really enjoyed not having my cell phone or internet access. I read no emails all week. It was glorious. I found that I was focused on the kids and living in the moment...and I enjoyed it.

The kids got several lectures from me. Braden pushed my buttons on a couple of occassions. They weren't perfect and neither was I. But, we had a good time....no, a FANASTIC time!

There were times when I wished I wasn't alone.

There were times when I wondered what in the world was I thinking to go on this vacation by myself with three kids.

There were also times when the kids fought and drove each other crazy.

Yep, it was a pretty normal week.

So, there's a more fair and balanced report....

It was an unforgettable trip....perfect? No.

No comments: